KID smART is a learning community of artist educators who are passionate about expanding learning for New Orleans public school students through the arts. We seek those who share our passion with energy and joy. Jobs will be posted as they become available.
KID smART is committed to helping transform public education in the New Orleans area and beyond through innovative arts integrated learning. We work to support students, teachers, and schools through extended artist residencies, professional development, and other arts education program development. Our implementation is rooted in our organizational values of collaboration, creativity, sustainability, access & equity.
Working with the Board of Directors and Executive Director, the Development Director designs and implements strategic fund development plans aligned with KID smART’s values of collaboration, creativity, sustainability, and equity to broaden sustainable financial support for continued growth of the organization. In close collaboration with the Executive Director, Board, Staff, and volunteers, the Development Director will develop and execute a comprehensive fund development plan to meet the organization’s financial needs. In addition, the Development Director will be responsible for initiating and leading external-facing communications with all potential and existing donors and supporting the Executive Director with representing KID smART in a community relations role at events and conducting presentations on behalf of the organization.
- Develop and implement strategies to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individual, foundation, corporate, and public sector support to fund KID smART’s ongoing operations and, when needed, special projects.
- Assist with creating and disseminating a strategic, compelling, and consistent organizational message with the goal of raising awareness and financial support of the organization.
- Manage the maintenance of the development database and ensure the accurate and timely quality control of donor and prospective donor data and records.
- Work collaboratively with KID smART Executive Director and relevant Board Members and Committees, develop and implement annual and long-term funding strategies which include cultivation and engagement strategies to increase the number of donors and size of gifts to meet organizational goals.
- Provide staff support to Board of Directors Fund Development Committee and present regular fund development reports for Board meetings.
- Participate with the Executive Director, Program Director, and Board in the recognition and prioritization of funding needs.
- Prepare monthly and annual revenue reports to assess program effectiveness based on established development benchmarks and recommend alterations to plans based on trends.
- Cultivate community interest, support, and retention by creating and organizing events for the organization throughout the year.
- Gather and analyze donor data and trends.
Essential Functions: KID smART just completed a strategic planning process in collaboration with Bloomberg Philanthropies. The result is a 5-year plan with a focus on fund development (spanning FY21-FY25). The following items, particularly the focus areas, are shaped by that plan.
Create a comprehensive, year-round fundraising plan that takes into account the following types of donors:
Individual Donors: Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward individual donors at all levels of giving via events, mailings, digital outreach, meetings (virtual & in-person), and site tours.
Focus on: 1) gifts of $1,000+, 2) recurring donations, 3) increasing donor retention rate through good stewardship practices, 4) and building a more racially diverse and inclusive base of individual donors.
Foundation Donors: Prepare and submit grant applications to new and existing foundation donors; complete all reporting requirements for awarded grants.
Focus on: identifying and approaching national foundations; conducting face-to-face meetings with local foundations to advocate for increased support; maintaining recent increases in Foundation support.
Corporate Donors: Secure corporate support and sponsorship for annual events and school partnerships- particularly Cocktails for KID smART, ART JAM, and Adopt-a-School – and year-round support.
Focus on: matching corporate donors to specific schools and projects; building corporate giving infrastructure with input from members of the corporate community (both Board and non-Board).
Government Donors: Prepare and submit applications to local, state, and national government funders; ensure that organization is in compliance with all grant & reporting requirements.
Focus on: working with the Finance Manager to maintain & extract good financial data for reporting; working with internal and external evaluation teams to gather and analyze student data for reporting.
The Development Director will be responsible for working with Board and Staff to manage the following events/activities:
- Cocktails for KID smART
- ART JAM
- Annual Mailings
- GiveNOLA Day
- Grant Writing & Reporting
- Reports to Committee & Board
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Stay informed regarding innovations and trends in the development fields, including tax aspects of charitable gifts and legislation affecting such gifts.
- Maintain a donor –focused approach, responding to donors with the appropriate level of urgency.
- Attend events and represent KID smART as directed.
- Effectively convey the work of the organization, its vision, goals and accomplishments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- B.A. in communications, marketing or a related field, and 5 years related fundraising experience in the non-profit arena. (Experience in community-based nonprofit and/or or arts education is preferred.)
- High-level proficiency with Google products, Microsoft Office Suite, and donor databases coupled with a fearless approach to getting the most out of software systems.
- Excellent verbal, written communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- High affinity and passion for the organization’s mission and willingness to understand the principles of arts integration and the KID smART theory of change.
- Detailed, goal-oriented, enthusiastic, and collaborative individual with a proven capacity to work in a fast-paced office while exercising independent judgment and maintaining a joyful approach to projects.
The Development Director reports to the Executive Director and works closely with the Development and Administrative Coordinator and Board.
KID smART is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment.
This is a full time position with a competitive salary range of $65,000-$75,000, benefits and paid holidays including full paid health, dental and eye insurance, 12 paid holidays, and generous accrued PTO.
This is an immediate opening starting no later than May 1, 2021.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
To apply: email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
This is an immediate opening starting no later than May 1, 2021
KID smART is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, physical or mental abilities or age.